Wonderful Perchers

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day



This is a picture of my dad and my son standing next to a replica of the jeep that my dad drove in, lost his hearing to, slept under to stay dry and kept him safe in Vietnam for over a yr. He was very excited to find "his" jeep at a local air show we went to. The stories that followed were the best part of it. Thank you for your service Dad!! Love you!!!!

I would like to send out a sincere and big thank you to all of our Vets past and present. I would also like to say a personal thank you to both of my Grandfathers who fought in WWII, my father who fought in Vietnam, my cousins who 1 just retired from the Army, 1 who is in Top Gun Training the the last cousin who just graduated from Annapolis this past May. I would also like to thank my adopted soldier and all the soldiers who we are sending care packages and letters to who are currently serving overseas. We Thank you all for your service and are happy you are home and wish everyone overseas a safe return home. Thank you for protecting us and defending our freedom.





Here is a little poem that I found that I really enjoyed reading and I hope you will too.

They Did Their Share
On Veteran’s Day we honor
Soldiers who protect our nation.
For their service as our warriors,
They deserve our admiration.


Some of them were drafted;
Some were volunteers;
For some it was just yesterday;
For some it’s been many years;


In the jungle or the desert,
On land or on the sea,
They did whatever was assigned
To produce a victory.


Some came back; some didn’t.
They defended us everywhere.
Some saw combat; some rode a desk;
All of them did their share.


No matter what the duty,
For low pay and little glory,
These soldiers gave up normal lives,
For duties mundane and gory.


Let every veteran be honored;
Don’t let politics get in the way.
Without them, freedom would have died;
What they did, we can’t repay.


We owe so much to them,
Who kept us safe from terror,
So when we see a uniform,
Let’s say "thank you" to every wearer.


By Joanna Fuchs


If you see someone in uniform, not just on Veteran's Day, make sure you say thank you! Most of our Vets from Vietnam did not get a nice welcome home, not like our soldiers today. My Dad told me a story of when he landed in CA and when he got off the plane was spit on. Ever since I heard this, I try to say Thank you to those Vietnam Vets. I simply say "Thank you for your service. I know it is a little late but I would like to Thank you" Most of them just look at me funny, but others welcome it.
A little thank you goes a long way....lets get out there and thank everyone we can!

If you would like more information on adopting a soldier.....click here or please click the button on the top right hand side of my blog. Every little bit helps :)

2 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome post! It just baffles me how so many people could act in such an awful way towards those who served in Vietnam!

Hallee the Homemaker said...

This is a wonderful post. Thank you to your family for their service to our country. How awesome that your dad found his jeep!

Hallee