Wonderful Perchers

Monday, November 1, 2010

Fall in New England

ShutterLoveTuesdays


I know I showed this one off a week or so ago but I have to admit it is my favorite fall photo so I have to use it one more time for the "Fall" challenge over at the Trendy Treehouse. Enjoy!


Living in New England is absolutely stunning in the Fall. The picking up of leaves, the crisper air, the one day of warmth then the next day dropping 20-25 degrees.....Ahh!! The joys of fall. Mark Twain put it best "If you don't like the weather in New England, Wait a minute." That statement is so true and if you live in New England you know it is!

To me Fall only means one thing....Winter is right around the corner. I do love watching the leaves change color and love driving by houses with all the mums lining the driveways, stairways and walkways but it all goes back to one thing....Winter IS coming!
We know when it is fall when... we have to get leave bags to bag all the leaves, get 2-3 cords of wood delivered and stacked so we can stay warm all winter, winterize the chicken coop so the girls are as comfortable as they can be, put away all the deck furniture (I cry when this happens), Get the gardens cleaned out ( and I cry again), clean up anything in and around the yard so no one gets hurt walking or sledding when it snows, fertilize the lawn, and if you are lucky enough to own a boat, get the boat out of the water and on dry dock. These are just a few things that tell us that Fall is here.
One of the other things about Fall is, you miss having your windows open and hearing all those familiar sounds. Whether it is the sound of dogs barking, certain birds chirping, the sound of the ocean or the crickets at night. One thing that is a normal sound for us, is the running of the trolley on the old trolley tracks. With its squeaks and screeching on the tracks, you ALWAYS know when they are giving rides. Living very close to the Farm River, the tracks used to run right along the river. Now there is only a small portion left where they continue to give rides during the spring and summer months. The trolley started running in 1900 and ran for almost 50 yrs. It connected New Haven to some of the shoreline towns so people could shop or go out on the town for the night. It was shut down due to the automobile coming into more and more households. It is now kept alive thanks to the Shore Line Trolley Museum. The tracks aren't long since most have been removed, but if you walk along the river, across the way, you will see the tracks with the old lines and poles to run the trolley. I happen to be driving by the area where the tracks end. It was a beautiful autumn day and I was lucky enough to have my camera on me. This picture was taken at the very end of the tracks. To the left is an old platform and from what I can see this is the only "bump" in the tracks probably to help the trolleys stop. This picture is one of the reasons why I love living in New England! With its wonderful, colorful trees and history.





Please be sure to take a look at all the wonderful Fall stories at I Heart Faces this week :)



and all the wonderful photos at Simplicity :)

32 comments:

Rachel said...

Mmm, I LOVE New England. Love it in the fall especially, you are making me jealous! THat picture is great! I love the curve of the tracks.

Karen said...

Awesome leading lines! Great job!

Heather L Combs said...

Fall is what I miss most about New England. I've lived in MA and CT and there's just nothing like Fall up there. I'm back down in the South (or semi south) and it just doesn't compare.

Tamar SB said...

Oh wow! What a fabulous picture!!

Where in New England are you? I am in Boston and agree nothing beats fall in NE!

carlotta cisternas said...

What a beautiful post - and gorgeous photo! I've been to New England once, but I was two and don't remember much of the trip :) I *so* want to go back, though...

Karrie said...

Thank you all very much! Fall in New England is wonderful :)
@Rachel..thank you and you can have the fall and winter if you would like it. I will gladly change places with you...lol!
@ Karen..Thank you very much. I really love how this came out. Black and white is awesome too :)
@ Heather Combs...I hear once you move out that you always miss NE. Hopefully all the wonderful pictures will bring you back "home"
@Tamar SB...I am in CT. I love Boston!! Such a beautiful city. My brother went to school up there and stayed for awhile. We used to love visiting him.

Karrie said...

Carlotta...Thank you! You must come and visit again!! Nothing beats NE. Not just the leaves but all the history too. Glad I can share with you a little bit of what you might not remember :)

Amy Henderson said...

Great shot! I think I feel the same way about summer ending. Fall is beautiful tho :)

Rhonda said...

Very interesting photo!

Kimberly Danae Photography said...

Love it! The {bump} just totally makes the picture. My mothers best friend used t olive in Maine and every summer we used to go out there. Wish I could see it now!

Unknown said...

What a BEAUTIFUL fall picture - I LOVE it :-)

Erika B said...

Love this! Such a beautiful shot of those tracks.

Erika B

Our Beaten Path said...

Great picture! And wow...what a way to look at fall! It's so different here in the south. Yeah, Old Man winter is coming but it means nothing like it does to you guys....Really enjoyed reading your post!

Cari said...

LOVE it!!!!

Thanks for stopping by This Little Family!

Karrie said...

Thank you all for stopping by!
I am happy to be able to show off some of what fall is like in the North East. Guess I should post some of my other shots ;)

Jessica- I will switch places with you anytime! You can deal with winter! LOL! Thank you :)

Helen said...

Such an awesome picture!

And include me among those who miss New England (I grew up in Maine)! Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the shorter winters where I live now, but New England will always be "home" to me!

lisa d. photography said...

beautiful, I love the story it tells

MariesImages said...

I love this whole post...Wonderful image too, thanks for sharing your photography with our challenge. WELCOME!

Unknown said...

beautiful capture and great post!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Really. beautiful. Photo. Love it!

Heidi said...

This is gorgeous!

Rachel said...

Visiting from Faith's blog, I just love your photo! The lighting and the awesome little bump in the railroad track is awesome! Isn't fall wonderful?!?! All our trees here are bare and we've already had snow!

sunflowerkat said...

This is a great shot. You chose such an interesting perspective. I just love it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very nice..I loved the visuals in your narrative also..well done. I am not looking forward to winter either:)

Karrie said...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments on my photo! I really appreciate you all stopping by and taking the time out to comment :) See you this coming week!!

gina said...

this is very pretty. i have always loved railroad tracks. great capture.

faith ann raider said...

SUCH a beautiful shot!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I just saw this over at Faith's and had to tell you what a stunning shot it is!! Beautiful!

Bunch of Barrons said...

Great composition...gorgeous shot!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shot, I love the colors and composition, really, really amazing capture

Joni said...

the weather in north carolina is very similar. yesterday i was freezing and today i could have worn shorts. although i have to admit, i don't like winter or snow, but have a hard time getting into the holiday spirit when it is in the high 70's.

Rjet33 said...

I have always dreamed of seeing New England in the fall after seeing photos in magazines and books. Maybe one day...thank you for sharing this photo in the Community Photo Challenge, I loved it. Too bad I missed getting my photos in and missed out on the voting. I did post them in my blog though (Country Living Southern Style II). Again, lovely shot. Thanks for sharing!

Susan