Wonderful Perchers

Friday, January 16, 2009

Great Recipe for the Cold Weather




Ground Beef/Turkey and Carrot Soup
I thought this recipe would be perfect to share for these wonderful cold days we are having.


This recipe was given to me last year by my aunt who made it when we were visiting in December. The Temp was about 14 degrees and it just hit the spot after being in the barn doing chores and with the boys driving around in the cold for hours. It still blows my mind on how they did that!

They look so warm, Don't they! Thomas then told Mark to go again and Mark was like "What!?"

Here is the recipe:

  • 1/2 and onion cut as you would like
  • 1 lb ground beef or turkey (we use turkey)
  • 2 cans cream of celery soup
  • 3 cups tomato juice
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/2 tsp marjoram
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  1. Saute onion and garlic
  2. Cook ground beef/turkey meat
  3. Combine everything else in a big pot and cook for at least 30 min

I have thrown this in the crock pot and I have slow cooked it on the stove for several hours and it always came out the same no matter how you cooked it. We also throw any king of cheese on top when put into bowls. My husband puts Parmesan cheese or cheddar and the rest of us like mozzarella cheese on it. I have also thrown in sliced mushrooms for a little twist. We also LOVE to have different kinds of fresh muffins with it...YUM!

Trust me, this recipe doesn't look the best when cooked but it tastes wonderful!! My kids just love it. It is not very often when I hear my 14 yr old say "Your making that soup...YES!"

Super easy recipe and it is nice and warm

Enjoy!

We are always up for trying new recipes. If you have any to share please send them my way! I am blessed with a non fussy family when it comes to food.


Doesn't it just look cold!!! My lens was fogging from my hands.


1 comment:

The Stewart Stuff said...

Burr! I am grateful for a warm Arizona winter...we've only had a light dusting of snow so far this year. Thanks for the recipe. I need to post some of our favorites on my blog, too.