Wonderful Perchers

Monday, March 23, 2009

Cathy's Angels My Newest Adventure

I would like to share with you my newest "adventure". I am proud to announce my involvement with starting a non profit organization call Cathy's Angels. It is a non profit organization for ALS. If you are not familiar with ALS you may know it better as Lou Gehrig's disease.

I got involved with this new organization kind of by mistake. It all started with a friend of my brothers named Melinda. Her mother was diagnosed with ALS about 8 yrs ago, when my brother and Melinda were just out of high school. Melinda held a few fundraisers in which my brother and parents attended. I didn't know Melinda very well but new of her and her mother through my brother. Melinda then started a Facebook causes page for her mother called Cathy's Angels and my brother passed the page on to me and of coarse I joined. I then saw a post from Melinda asking if anyone knew of any fundraising ideas. I shot her an idea and from that point on we have been talking and messaging each other. We have also become very good friends.

After getting to know Melinda a little better she told me about her idea of starting a non profit to help others with ALS to find resources and used equipment to donate to families in need( ALS is a very expensive disease). She then asked if I would be willing to help out with starting the non profit and of coarse I said yes!

I am proud to announce that I am the Secretary of Cathy's Angels! This is so exciting for me. I have never been involved with such an important cause before and I can't wait until we can get cranking on this. There is so much paperwork that needs to be submitted to the State and IRS and such to get a non profit up and going. We currently have some of the paperwork in and being processed. We have just gotten back the paperwork from the state of Connecticut stating that we are officially a Non Profit Organization!!!! There is much more work to be done but it is slowly coming along.

I am currently in the mist of starting a blog for Cathy's Angels, to write about our journey of starting a non profit and what it entails. Also, Cathy has agreed to write some for the blog (when she feels up to it). I hope to have a special day put aside for just her posts. We are also starting a website that will hopefully be up and running in the next month or two.

Please stop by Cathy's Angels when you have a few minutes to look around. I am asking all of my blogging friends to share some feedback with me. I am trying to make this blog very professional and informative and need any and all feedback, good or bad, from anyone who would like to share. Please remember this is a work in progress and I would love to hear any ideas you may have. Our goal is to help others with ALS but also maybe give someone else the strength and encouragement to start their own non profit by learning through how we did it.

I am very proud of doing this and I think we will do great things for other people who have ALS and their families. I hope this new adventure will be very rewarding and fun all wrapped up into one. I hope you will stop by every now and then and show Cathy how great the blogging community is! Thank you for staying and reading this, I really and truly appreciate it!!

8 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

Karrie,
I visited the blog and went to post a comment and you comment section is not working...just thought I would give you a heads up. Anyway, what a great idea and cause. I am following the blog just to find out more about ALS. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Dan

Karrie said...

thank you soooo much Dan for letting me know and taking the time to follow! <3 :)

Ninja Jenn™ said...

you are so awesome! i know how hard this undertaking will be, and i hope you know i am here if you need ANYTHING... thanks for being so cool and giving back!

<3

Sunday's Pearl said...

You are such a sweetheart for doing this... The site looks good- all the links seems to work and the information sections is great!
Let me know if you need anything!

Karrie said...

thank you so much pearl! You are the sweetie!!

The Stewart Stuff said...

I am so happy for you! What a wonderful thing to be associated with! I will show your new blog some love!!!

Karrie said...

Jenn and Jen...thanks so much for your kind words. I am really proud of this and hopefully this will be something good for everyone

Thank you everyone for taking the time to look at the new blog...I really appreciate it!!!

Cláudia said...

Hi... what a wonderful idea!!!
***

I have a photo of Joana eating your chocolate in my blog :)))

I haven't made a post about you and Thomas yet, but I will :)))

Kisses